Want to join this opportunity ?
That's great but you need to REGISTER or LOGIN to join in the fun.
Event volunteer - Oxford Town and Gown 10k
The Muscular Dystrophy UK Oxford Town and Gown 10k is the oldest run in the series. It now attracts up to 5,000 runners every year – including serious athletes, fun runners and club runners. The 10k takes you along a City Centre closed-road route that finishes in the University Parks. This year’s event will be held on Sunday 13th May.
The Town and Gown 10k series is a huge fundraising event for Muscular Dystrophy UK, with the Oxford, Cambridge and recently Leicester events raising over £1 million for the charity. Whatever your role, you’ll be helping Muscular Dystrophy UK beat muscle-wasting conditions, which affect 70,000 people in the UK.
On the day & what is required of you:
• To be on site at the University Parks to be ready for a briefing at 7:45am. Please arrive 15 minutes before this briefing
• Here you will meet your Chief Marshal who will prep you on the roles and responsibilities you will have in your area
• Prior to the race you will walk to the area your team is responsible for.
• Pack down of the event. Includes making sure that the area is clean, bollards are moved and the race village is packed away
• You will finish no later than 1pm
Example of roles:
• Crucial for ensuring that the event runs smoothly and that participants feel motivated
• Your job is to direct runners along the route, make sure they make it safely round and cheer them as they go
• You will be given a marshal point and full briefing on the day by the Race Director
• A mobile phone is key for this role. Some marshals may be given a radio.
Start and finish line marshal
• Branding charity village area e.g. balloons, banners etc.
• Putting up signage i.e. toilets, info point, start line
• Moving participants to the start line after warm up
• Construct outer perimeter with catch fencing to prevent spectators from encroaching on finish area
• Ensure that outer perimeter is constructed so runners are funnelled out of finish area to drinks tables
• Ensure finish area is cleared immediately after the race
Information tent administrator
• Setting up info marquee
• Assisting runners and spectators with queries
• Welcoming participants and being their main point of contact
Baggage control steward
• responsible for the collection before and redistribution after the event of runners kit
• laying out the baggage marquee in numbered lanes using laminated cards
• ensuring that collection, sorting and storag
OXford University Parks, OX13RF
All volunteers receive an MDUK t-shirt on arrive to say thank you for your time and drinks and food will be provided throughout the day. It is also a great experience for anyone interested in events and sport.
All we need is friendly volunteers who are happy to help our runners on the day!
Head to the South Lodge entrance of Oxford University Parks. You will find the Event Village there.
You must be over 16 years old
Age Groups Mixed
Open from Sunday 13th May 2018 to Sunday 13th May 2018
Closing on Sunday 13th May 2018 in 22 days.
Sunday, 13 May 2018
Starting at 07:30 for 5 hours