Get alerts whenever Children Heard and Seen creates a new opportunity Children Heard and Seen
Children Heard and Seen was set up in 2014 to provide targeted support to children of prisoners.
Registered Charity Number 1157879
Children Heard and Seen is a charity that works to mitigate the effects of parental imprisonment on children, young people and their families. We aim to provide quality services for children with a family member in prison.
- 60% of women in prison have children.
- A prison sentence separates 17,000 children a year from their mothers.
- Children of prisoners are more likely to experience poverty, poor housing, social exclusion, poor physical health, aggressive behaviour. Children of prisoners are 3 times more at risk of committing Anti-Social Behaviour or delinquent behaviour
- 65% of boys with a convicted parent go on to offend themselves.
- 25% of children with a parent in prison are at risk of mental health problems including depression, anxiety, eating and sleeping disorders.
- Parental imprisonment is associated with negative school experiences such as persistent truanting, bullying and failure to achieve in education.
- Children of prisoners are also disproportionately represented among young offenders and the care population,
- It is estimated that every £1 invested in supporting prisoners’ families could save the taxpayer £11